Thursday, January 12, 2017

Thursday Yummies...



I. Love. Food.
I really do. Too much maybe, but I just love great food.
Through our travels with our Scentsy business and family trips, we've been able to travel to some awesome cities in the US and really get a taste for what they have to offer. Every time we travel, I do research on places on the way and in our destination city that offer the best eats. If I'm going to waste calories, I want it to be worth it.


I also want to raise great eaters and so far, sans preteen hormones ("I hate this today, but will probably love it tomorrow"), they do a pretty good job of not being chicken nugget and french fry kids.
From the day they started being able to eat table foods, we introduced things that were different than typical kid food. We also implemented a rule in our house called the "No Thank You Bite".
If I cook something they're not so sure about, they have to at least take one bite. At that point, they can say no thank you and then their choices are a PB&J or whatever is  in the cabinet they can easily fix.
This rule has been great for our table because plates they'd immediately whine about and turn their noses from, get that one bite and, 9 times out of 10, finish with clean plates. They just need to try it.
You might not like everything, but you could be missing out on something awesome just because it looks funny.



That being said, there are some things I am picky about. Chili is one of those things.
I grew up hating chili. Greasy, sloppy, full of mystery ingredients I couldn't identity...no thanks!
It wasn't until I'd been married a few years that I decided to give it another try. I asked friends for their favorite recipes and saw one that didn't look scary. I made it the next day and that was it. This chili...this chili I could eat every darn day.

Over the years, it is the go to recipe I make when a cold day is upon us, for family Christmas, or for those occasional chili cook offs. It is so simple, but is so full of flavor and so far, is a pretty great crowd pleaser, even for the pickiest of eaters. It's a recipe my kids get super excited about and can even make themselves now, which makes my heart super happy. If you're a beginner cook, this recipe is for you!

So today, with another cold snap upon us here in Oklahoma, I thought I'd share the recipe with you. My oldest would protest as she feels like it should be a secret family recipe, but since someone else shared it with my first, I feel it's only right to pass it on.
Should you decide to give it a whirl, I pray it warms your belly and puts a miserably full, satisfied smile on your face.


Ingredients
1.5 lb of ground beef or ground venison
1- Large can of tomato soup
1- Can of red kidney beans
1- Can of chili beans
1- Can of Ranch beans
1 packet of taco seasoning

Optional: diced fresh jalepenos or red pepper flakes if you like your chili to have some heat 

Brown meat in a pan and drain well. Really well. We don't want greasy floaters in our chili.:)
In your crockpot, combine your tomato soup, beans and taco seasoning.
Fill your empty tomato soup can half way with water and pour into crockpot.
Stir well.
Once meat is browned and drained, add to your crockpot
If you like your chili spicy, add your jalepenos or red chili flakes to taste.
Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.
You can also do this same recipe on the stovetop in a deep pot and simmer on low-med heat for 15 minutes. Since everything is already cooked, it's ready when you are.

If you like your chili to be thicker and not soupy (we prefer thicker), take a cup of water and add a couple tablespoons of cornstartch. Mix until all the clumps are gone and 
then add to your crockpot and stir. This will thicken your chili.


With that, dinner is ready! 
We love to top ours with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar on top. 
I recommend making a double batch and putting one in the freezer for those surprise snow days or whenever the craving hits.  The bonus of this recipe that if there is any left after dinner, it's even better the next day.


Do you have a food that you hated as a kid, but love now as an adult when you were able to make it your way? Let us hear about it in the comment section! Happy Eating!- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment